Reducing your family’s impact on the earth can be as easy as switching to more efficient laundry appliances. With an ENERGY STARⓇ qualified washing machine you can save over 7,000 gallons of water a year, cut energy consumption by over 40% and save up to $110 per year compared to non-qualified clothes washers.
Over the 11-year life of the washer, that’s enough money to
- Buy laundry detergent for four years
- Buy a new clothes dryer
In addition to owning ENERGY STARⓇ qualified appliances, here are some easy ways to help the planet–one load of laundry at a time.
Washer Efficiency Tips
- Be sure to use high efficiency (HE) detergents with high efficiency clothes washers. HE detergent produces fewer suds and helps keep your machine performing at its best.
- Wash full loads, but don’t overload the machine. Washing full loads can save 3,400 gallons of water annually.**
- Use cold water for rinsing. Warm and hot water require more energy for heating.
- Set water heaters to 120°F to achieve the most energy efficient temperature. For each °F reduction in water temperature, you can save between 3%-5% in energy costs.±
Dryer Efficiency Tips
- Dry full loads, but don’t overload the dryer. Air circulation is important to ensure proper drying.
- Dry a few loads in succession to take advantage of leftover heat in the dryer.
- Use moisture-sensing settings to help prevent over drying, which wastes energy.
- Clean the dryer lint filter after each load to maintain proper air circulation and heating.
- Keep the dryer’s outside exhaust clean. A clogged exhaust lengthens drying time and increases energy use.
**According to ENERGY STARⓇ.
±According to the U.S. Department of Energy.