You no longer need to wait for hours for this oven-baked favorite. It is ready to serve in less than an hour. Makes 8 servings.
- 2 cans (1 lb. 13 oz. each) pinto beans
- 3 cups (1 lb.) cubed cooked or smoked ham
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup hickory-smoked flavor barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (optional)
- Drain beans, reserving 1/4 cup of liquid. Combine all ingredients and reserved bean liquid in large mixing bowl. Lightly spray 2-1/2-quart microwave-safe casserole with no-stick cooking spray. Turn bean mixture into prepared casserole.
- Microwave, covered, on HIGH, 10-12 minutes or until mixture begins to bubble; stir once halfway through cooking. Microwave on power Level 4, 20 minutes, stirring after 10 minutes. Remove from microwave; let stand 6-8 minutes before serving.
*Substitute 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder for chopped garlic.
*Cubed ham is readily available in 1-pound packages and can be found in the refrigerator section with packaged deli meats.
*If large-size cans of pinto beans cannot be found, use three 16-ounce cans.
*Using power Level 4 allows dishes such as soup, chili and bean bakes to simmer, blending and mellowing their flavors even further.